Exhibition of the Winding Wheel

Presented by Chesterfield Theatres

Mon 15 May 2017 to Fri 26 May 2017

At the Winding Wheel

30Th Anniversary Web Banner 400X100

This event is part of the Winding Wheel 30th Anniversary.

Come along to our brand new, specially commissioned exhibition on display in the Winding Wheel Function Room which traces the history and development of the Winding Wheel building, which was originally built as the Picture House cinema in 1923 and later became the Odeon in 1938. In the 1960s the Odeon was acquired by Rank Organisation, the Ballroom was painted red and became a nightclub. The building closed as a cinema in 1981. Apart from the nightclub in the Ballroom and café area, the building lay unused for 5 years, but in 1987, Chesterfield Borough Council purchased and completely refurbished the building, taking away the fixed seating and constructing a dance floor above the stalls whilst keeping the internal décor intact. The building reopened in 1987 as the Winding Wheel Exhibition, Entertainment and Conference Centre. In 2000 the Winding Wheel was made a Grade II Listed Building.

Exhibition opening times
Mon 15 May 2pm - 7.30pm
Tue 16 May 10am - 7.30pm
Wed 17 May 10am - 7.30pm
Thu 18 May 10am - 7.30pm
Fri 19 May 10am - 7.30pm
Sat 20 May 10am - 7.30pm
Sun 21 May 10am - 7.30pm
Mon 22 May 10am - 5pm
Tue 23 May 10am - 7.30pm
Wed 24 May 10am - 5pm
Thu 25 May 10am - 8pm
Fri 26 May 10am - 6.30pm

Winding Wheel Guided Tours
Free guided tours running at dedicated dates and times between Tue 16 and Fri 26 May. 
Buy Tickets Button

Ticket Information

Free, booking not required